Tuesday 27 August 2013

Dotty Spotty Josephine

My wardrobe is pretty short on casual tops, and I thought the Sloppy Josephine from Papercut Patterns looked really promising. Described as a "perfect tee for slouching around in, or for tucking in to your high waisted jeans or skirts for a feminine look". I don't own any high-waisted jeans but I am the queen of slouching around!!

If you haven't checked out Papercut Patterns already, do it!  The patterns come in the cutest packaging...their own cardboard box...with a hanger, how cool is that?  The pattern pieces are on sturdy brown recycled paper, and the instructions come in a booklet!

Going Dotty Josephine

I cut the medium and whilst I really like the fit and it is super comfortable for slouching around in, I feel the neck is too wide. It keeps falling off my shoulders and needs a tank underneath, unless you are happy showing off your bra straps 80s style of course!  When I make this again (and I will) I will take a couple of inches out of the centre front & back, tapering out to the bottom as the next sizes down won't bring it in enough.

Aside from this, this top sewed up super fast, from cutting to finishing was about an hour and a half max including some distractions from Twitter!  I sewed all the seams on my overlocker and finished the hem with a twin needle.

Going Dotty Josephine

I made a couple of minor adjustments:

  • I didn't bind the neckline as suggested, instead I cut a strip of fabric 2" wide and a couple of inches shorter than the neckline and stretched it on
  • As I am pretty short, I took about 3" off the length

Going Dotty Josephine

This is a good basic tee pattern that is easy to make up. It's very comfy and I already wear it a lot. With a narrower neckline, I feel this will be my new go to tee for spring!

Fabric - 1m Cotton knit from Mood

20 comments:

  1. Oh Liz I love this on you! Such a great silhouette - really suits. I can understand why the neckline would be annoying.. but it looks great with the black singlet underneath in your pics :) The papercut boxes really are a bit delicious... makes the price tag of these patterns so much easier to swallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love this silhouette too. I like the layering but not practical in our climate :)

      Delete
  2. Very cute indeed!
    It's so weird reading about people planning for spring, here we're getting ready for autumn and try to soak up what sunlight we still have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I'm sold. That's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really cute! You know how I like sewing a good t-shirt! ;) And polka dots, I'm a sucker for those too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too but not a fanof the Renfrew on me. I'm a big sucker for dots and florals :)

      Delete
  5. Very cute! I like the way you finished the neckline with a thicker strip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was done to make construction easier :)

      Delete
  6. This is so, so cute! I love it! I like the wide neckline-- it's way cute with the tank underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a comfy looking top!
    In some ready-to-wear clothes with a low neckline, there is a ribbon attached to each of the shoulder seams at the ends of the ribbon. The ribbon is cut the perfect length to keep the back neckline in the exact place you want it and helps to stop the shoulder-drop. It would be just a few hand stitches at each end, and might be worth a try. Let me know if I haven't explained it clearly and I can send you a pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't put a ribbon as you'd see it, not to worry will cut smaller next time :)

      Delete
  8. This looks great on you, comfy yet stylish at the same time. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so cute and comfy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the second one I have seen today. Yoshimi has made one too and I love them both. I love raglan sleeves and I'll be looking out for your next one. Agreed, too hot here to wear with singlet underneath - although it does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great top! And now I feel like slouching around. Time for a lazy tea I think - thanks for the inspiration ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this top, very flattering yet slouchy at the same time! I really like that idea of having your own box with a hanger for your patterns!! I must look into Papercut patterns now and see what fun there is to be ordered.

    ReplyDelete