Tuesday 20 August 2013

Completed: Polka Dot B5748

My lovely hubby and I spent last weekend up in Noosa (an hour and a half drive up the coast from where we live) - what a perfect opportunity to give my new dress an outing and give you lovely readers a change from my usual backdrops!

Technically it is still winter here, but seriously look at this weather, it was just fabulous, we are so spoilt. It was a gorgeous 25ÂșC - perfection!

IMG_3054

This is a new pattern to me, Butterick 5478, a vintage repro pattern with great back neckline detail. Whilst I love the end result, it definitely is not perfect, nevertheless I don't care and know this will get stacks of wear!

IMG_3051

The fabric is a polka dot cotton bought ages that I had stashed for the perfect pattern and I think this might be it!

I made quite a few modifications to get the fit and one to rescue a fit issue that I couldn't be bothered fussing with!  First the rescue - I was having some issues getting the waist darts to sit properly due to the FBA, they just looked silly and wouldn't sit flat. I then just cut the bottom off the bodice and replaced it with a band that I piped with white satin piping bought some time ago.  Then I ran into another drama, I cut the waistband and piping a touch too small and the waist didn't fit, so I cast it aside for about four months. No idea how I did that, guess I was having a blonde moment and measured wrong, or perhaps I cut what I wanted to be instead of what I am ;)

IMG_3052
"Move your arms, do something interesting" says hubby/director/photographer

I pulled it out again recently as I have lost a little weight and yay it fitted!  So I finished it off with an invisible zipper and a pleated dirndl skirt.

My pattern alterations:
- FBA
- shortened bodice by 1"
- added waistband
- dirndl skirt instead of circle (didn't have enough fabric)

As always, I still think I could do a lot more to improve the fit for next time, but I am not sure that anyone apart from sewers and me would even notice.  We really are own worst critics aren't we? Aside from the imperfections, I love, love, LOVE this dress!! I think this with a bit of tweaking, this  my next TNT pattern!  Oh and next time, it really needs pockets.

  IMG_3072
A bit of self indulgence :)

17 comments:

  1. Stunning scenery - perfectly suited for your new Summery dress! Glad you persevered with it, it does look good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and yes, Noosa is beautiful

      Delete
  2. Oh its a lovely dress. I want the wardrobe you put that dress in so I can loose a few inches too. I love the piping. The weather has been perfect here till today! Back to freezing! (relatively).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I did try to loose some weight, so I suppose at least it is working! We have been really lucky with our weather, seems like we didn't have much of a winter

      Delete
  3. This is so cute, and very you! I like the waistband-- what a happy mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love the waistband too - might have to make another one similar. I'm a fan of the piping contrast.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty dress and gorgeous beach! We're heading for autumn, so I'm a bit jealous... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh autumn - I am jealous, we don't get autumn here, no deciduous trees, so no pretty colours - I miss that :(

      Delete
  5. I love it...

    Congrats on getting the dress to fit.. Looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so gorgeous! Am loving this dress on you. And hating you at the same time for frolicking at the beach when I'm wrapped up on the couch in a blanket and ugg boots. heehee - the polka dots are delish and so is the piping! personally... I prefer a dirdl to a circle ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say it was pretty awesome to be at the beach paddling in August - that is unusual, but we had such a mild winter. The nights are cool (about 10) but the days have been 25 almost every day! Agree on the dirndl vs circle, uses less fabric too! My last circle was a bit droopy, but will try again and see if it's just the fabric

      Delete
  7. Wowww look at that beach... Your dress matches perfect with this idyllic place. Fit it's great, done very well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach is beautiful isn't it? Thank you, I just love this dress, it feels so summery!

      Delete
  8. Oh la la! This is tres chic, Lizzie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, pretty, and perfect for August paddling. Personally all my Noosa photos seem to involve Massimo's icecream, which is why my wardrobe never does anything nice like that to the waistline of my dresses.
    I love the piping detail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your new dress too :) We are terrible at critiquing the smallest of flaws, I agree, we just need to let go sometimes, most people wouldn't notice them anyway!

    ReplyDelete