Friday 7 December 2012

Vintage Vogue 5557 - Red Sheath Dress

Meet my latest vintage creation, the Vintage Vogue 5557 sheath dress.

IMG_0979
 
I think this can be described as a sheath dress, VintagePatternsWiki describes it as a one piece dress but given the simple lines it is certainly close to a sheath.

IMG_0989

I bought this pattern a little while ago as one of many from a local seller who was selling off his mother's patterns from when she was a seamstress. One of the reasons I was most excited about getting these patterns was that they were all used, showing they were a real part of fashion of the era. This particular pattern is dated to June/July 1963.
 
Click image for source
When I removed the pattern from the envelope, I could see there were pins in it already from the last time it was used. On measuring the pieces, it was like it was altered for me!  Check out the old pins:
 
IMG_0750

The pieces were all shortened (perfectly) and had been narrowed across the back.  For me these are two of my standard alterations.  The only thing left me to alter was to "grade" it up to my size.  When I say grade, I mean just add a bit to the side seams, after all it didn't need much altering as most of it had already been done!

IMG_0993

SHHH, DON'T TELL:
The dress has a fake pleat/wrap with fake button closure.  It has bound buttonholes, which are completely wasted as they are covered from view with the buttons that are sewed over the top of them. The buttonholes are real on the very top layer, but underneath there isn't a hole at all! The dress is actually closed with a side zip.
 
IMG_1031
 
Other than the fact I love this dress, I also made the whole dress from my stash - so really it was free right??

IMG_0976

What did I change?
- Not much actually
- The dress is supposed to have facings, but I am not a fan of how they seldom stay where they should so I fully lined the bodice with a remnant of cotton from a previous project.
- the grading previously mentioned
- I swapped the normal zipper for an invisible zipper
- I cut the belt in two pieces as I didn't have enough fabric, I also didn't cut it on the bias

IMG_1026

The dress went together pretty well and not much fiddling with the fit was required.  The only big difference with the fit was that the pattern envelope indicates it is more blousey at the bodice, I prefer a little more fitted which is good as that is how it ended up!!

IMG_1025

I love vintage instructions, the diagrams are brilliant.

Ok, now for the weird bit.  According to the instructions, the belt doubles as a scarf:
IMG_1024

Now I don't know about you, but there is no way my waist is close to my neck size.  I tried it to see how it would look, but am really not a fan.

IMG_1010

Hmmm...where is my neck? Not a good look, and where is my waist?  Not loving it.
 
IMG_1011
Still trying.

IMG_1013
Nope I give up, I'm keeping the belt.
IMG_0974

I have already worn this to a couple of functions, so another wardrobe winner, and great for the festive season.

34 comments:

  1. Such a good-looking dress. Well done! and I still LOVE your hair. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! The hair seems to suit 60s dresses - so fun

      Delete
  2. I love, love,love this dress. It is my favorite color and the pattern is fantastic. I want that pattern.. GORGEOUS!!!
    It looks great on you, isn't it amazing that the pattern was just meant for you.. Just think of the lady, who fixed it.. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - you can have the pattern if you like - perhaps we could arrange a swap if you are interested??

      Delete
    2. Yes, yes.. I would love to swap with you..or I will buy it from you.. I love, love love this pattern..Just let me know your ideas.

      Delete
  3. Awww what a pretty dress. :)

    Also congrats on being the winner on Kestrel Finds and Makes. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I am so excited I won the vintage patterns - now I just have to decide!!

      Delete
  4. Great dress! Agree that the scarf is better as a belt, it finishes the whole thing off so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yeah the scarf idea was silly - never going to look good.

      Delete
  5. That looks just the shot for some Christmas partying. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect Xmas party dress, it has already been on a couple of outings and is destined for more!

      Delete
  6. It's gorgeous!! And it seems that the pattern was just waiting for you to find it. I agree that the belt works better as a belt, it all just looks too bulky as a scarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This pattern has worked out really well, I love when it all works out well. Agreed much better as a belt, plus helps define my waist.

      Delete
  7. Wow this is such a pretty dress a definite wardrobe winner!! You look really pretty and perfect for over the xmas break (love your hair!)! I like the version as a belt but still very surprising you can do the collar as well hehe. Looks really well made too I love the buttons and the lining!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments, you are too kind :)

      Delete
  8. Hi - what a stunning dress! Hot colour, it's a great red :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the red and doubles as super festive too. It is fun to wear, but no good if I want to be a wallflower!

      Delete
  9. I like the belt option better too, it defines your waist very nicely. I love a faux button hold pleaty thing, sometimes buttons running down that much length can be problematic, popping open or showing a peak ;) I have the Colette Beignet skirt pattern that has buttons down the front and when I make it up I will make them fake and put in a zipper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The faux button thing is good, doesn't end up with any wardrobe malfunctions. I have to be careful with my Kelly skirt sometimes for that reason!

      Delete
  10. You look fierce, Lizzy! Well done! The belt is super cute and I think adds the finishing touch to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh fierce - I like it!! Hehe, I do feel pretty good when I wear this, it instills confidence

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definately the belt rather than the scarf, although that looks good too. Gorgeous dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look wonderful in your Vogue red dress. I like the belt best!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, agree on the belt, I will never do the scarf again, promise!

      Delete
  14. Oh it's gorgeous!!! I love that bright fire engine red on you too - looks fabulous. I'm always for a bit of waist definition, so I reckon the belt is the definite winner. As is this pattern matched with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am loving this dress, now if only it wasn't currently too hot to wear it!!

      Delete
  15. Wow, so pretty, so elegant!! I love the length, the style, and that beautiful colour!! WOW! It really looks amazing on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you :) Such lovely praise.

      Delete
  16. This is absolutely adorable! I love it!! So chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I just realised this probably belongs on my top 5 too, gah, only room for 5!!

      Delete
  17. What a beautiful dress. I was just reading about it on Judy's blog! It looks stunning on you. I love the crisp look of the fabric, very elegant and timeless!

    ReplyDelete