Thursday 14 June 2012

Oh So Wholesome!

This is my first Colette pattern and I can I start by saying how much I love the packaging and presentation of these patterns? Now I am not normally one for instructions, but thought I would follow these as I am keen to fine tune my techniques and learn some new skills or new ways of doing things along the way. No-one actually taught me to sew, so it is probably about time that I learned the "real" way of doing things. All my previous knowledge has been from reading pattern instructions or trial and error.

I purchased the Violet pattern and decided I would make a wearable muslin - so please forgive the inperfections as the fit will be a work in progress.


 
Overall I am pretty happy with it (the super crazy grin is due to Mr Photographer-extraordinaire being a dork and not being serious at all in my blogging venture).  I think it is a nice wholesome look and makes a change from my usually dark coloured wardrobe.  I used a mini polka dot Japanese cotton and trimmed it with satin ribbon made into flat piping.  I shortened the sleeves (as I think I must have short arms) and replaced the elastic with satin bias binding.


I found the pattern seemed quite wide in the shoulders and have altered the pattern for future makes (already planning), I also shortened the body, being 5"2" I find this is usually necessary for the waist to end up in the right place.

I did have one personal drama when constructing this - my overlocker had to go for servicing - how traumatic not having it for two whole weeks when I am on a sewing binge!  I used pinking shears for most of the seams and am quite pleased with the inside as it is quite tidy.


Pros for this:
  • Love the style
  • very comfortable
  • easy to make
  • great instructions
  • I like the piping detail
Cons:
  • I am inbetween sizes so need to spend some time re-sizing the upper area to a smaller size and then doing an FBA
  • I cut the collar a bit big and so it seems a bit huge
  • I should have paid more attention to the collar fit also, but maybe these are imperfections others can't notice (she says hopefully)
  • I am unsure about the gathering in the back and may omit it next time. Has anyone else experienced the same issue with the back bagging out on this pattern?

What I have learnt:
TAKE MORE TIME GETTING THE FIT RIGHT!!!  (yes I am yelling hoping it will sink in)

I wore this outfit all day today, not bad since it is supposed to be winter!

7 comments:

  1. it looks great! A fab choice of fabric too. x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really nice - I love the fabric you chose, and the contrasting bias.

    I've made this blouse twice and haven't been happy with the fit either time, as it was more boxy and loose than I expected. I think it looks best worn as you are wearing it, untucked, with a pair of jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I found it a little boxy but comfy too - hmmm fine line perhaps? I think for the next one I will take out the back gathering and shape the sides a little more.

      Delete
  3. Love your blouse... The red pindot is beautiful.. I too love colette patterns.. All of the ones I have done are wonderful.
    I have made the violet 3-4 times, last summer,and am fixing to make another for this summer. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. liz, i absolutely love this! i love the colar so much! i think you have done a great job. i cant read patterns or understand instructions so i think what you have done is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of like the huge collar! It's conspicuous, but in a fun, cutesy way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this it's great and the colours are so nice. I love the white ribbing!! Flag this one as a to do pattern!!

    ReplyDelete